Sunday, November 8, 2009

Venue Shopping

Back in the day, when I got married choosing where to have my wedding seemed like a daunting task. Where to go, what to look for, what questions to ask, will my flowers make it into the right room? All of this seemed like we were climbing a mountain and how could we ever get to the top?

Today, the task is even harder. 20 years ago everyone got married in a hotel, temple or “wedding factory” (venue that has more then 1 event going at a time). I remember when we finally picked the Crest hollow Country Club for our big day my boss looked at me and said- “I got married there. Make sure you get your flowers because mine went to a different wedding and the ones we got were awful.” Hah- 22 years ago all you had to worry about when planning a wedding were the flowers and the music- today there is so much more.

I just started in the planning process for a wedding that will take place in New York. I have not done an event in NY since my husband moved us to LA 16 years ago. So for the past 2 weeks the Internet and I have become best friends. It brings me my coffee first thing in the morning and snuggles next to me at night.

It really is truly amazing what is available to learn out in cyberspace. I was quite proud of myself at being able to link into some of the most incredible venues. While I am very familiar with the event spaces and opportunities in Los Angeles, I was unaware of how things had changed and developed in NY.

When I lived in NY, Long Island city was a place that you went to only if you had to. And I had to every day for about 2 years, as I worked for a clock importer back then. When I was going to meet with my perspective employers I was told don’t get too nervous when you walk here as most of the scary people you are going to see on the street work for us. That was then and this is now and Long Island City has become quite a little hub of old buildings that have been restored to now be rented out as event spaces.

Then there is Brooklyn. When I lived in Brooklyn it was the least cool place of all the suburbs that you could be, but that is not the case anymore. The Williamsburg area and it’s neighboring uber chic DUMBO have made the heights seem boring. In exploring I came across some of the most incredible spaces. Amazing what changes can occur in and over time. As I was born in Brooklyn, I can truly say that I am proud that it has seen a resurgence in glamour and style. It has always had the most amount of character in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment